Sunday, December 12, 2010

Je m'appelle Maria

Ready for take off out of Saint Hilaire. A goodbye tour gift through the mountains
by my aupair family dad whom I only found out, started flying planes in the July before I left!


I have started and stopped writing this long awaited blog post too many times and after six months of discovering, travelling, learning more about myself than I ever have in my life, and blindlessly searching for multiple answers, I decided it was time to share a few things with those at the other end.


The plat form I jumped from when hang-gliding
on my last week before leaving Saint-Hilaire.
Mum was informed after I glided!


Un petite survol (a little overview):

I look back to early July and it seems such a long time ago that I left Saint Hilaire. An experience, well worth it and only know after just passing a weekend back in Saint Hilaire, (surprising the kids for their birthday and catching up with my neighbours and some very special friends), I can see now how much I have made a difference in their family and how much I have grown in those six months. The people I met, places I went to, and experiences I shared in Saint Hilaire were truly rewarding and taught me so many wonderful things about life that only now I can really see and appreciate.


The dress I made for Amandine, (the little girl I use to nanny for),
for a wedding the family were invited to in Portugal in August.



I took a three week holiday to Athens and the Greek Islands after aupairing in early July. In Greece I was able to surround myself with familiar faces, family and places - such a satisfying holiday of sun, water, sleep, fat Greek kebabs and no children. It was perfect in every way. Cruising around the island of Syros on the back of my cousin's scooter and watching the sun set over the Mediterranean sea was magic. I can really understand why the Europeans are so proud and love their island life so much.


Maria’s daily activities in Syros:

Waking without an alarm, breakfast bare-foot at the fig tree in the backyard, meeting locals and friends for taverna lunch and dinners, going for runs along the edge of the island to watch the sunset daily and gin and tonic cocktails served to us whilst busily focusing on building a deep tan on the water's edge. After a strong hit of all things beginning with 'f' - family, familiarity, food and frappes, I was ready for Paris ... well, I thought so!

A collection of my favourite photos that hold really
strong memories of my holiday in Greece



















































































































Paris, early August:

I watched the leaves dance from their branches, eager to drop as each day grew further away from summer. I walked just about everywhere - went often to ‘Paris plage’ (Paris’s fake beach along the Seine over the summer period, for those not able to make it to the beach!), met with friends of friends, continued with another short French course and tried my best to understand and get my head around my new and overwhelming city.


Lou. A pique-nique in jardin du Luxembourg


Without Lou (my dear Parisian pineapple friend) Paris would have not been the same for me. I lived above her family's apartment in a chambre de bonne with a view of the Eiffel Tower from my pillow for the months of August until October. Never once have I felt left out of Lou's family. From wine lessons and scooter rides with Bruno (Lou's dad) to dinner parties and dance-offs with Lou, her sister and friends, to numerous French lessons with everyone, to weekends at their family and friends' country houses, and to emotional support when everything seemed too much. I enjoy so much being with Lou's family as they remind me so much of mine!






September, at Lou's family coutry house one weekend 45 minutes from Paris


Finally, early October came and as planned, I began Mod'Art International, Creation de Mode. Beginning school was exciting but scary at the same time, mostly not knowing what to expect of the level and the language. I was under the impression that half of the lessons would be taught in French but in fact they informed me that this would not be so. From the day we began it has been non-stop - 9am till 8pm Monday-Wednesday, Thursday I have just picked up more French and Friday I have French again and computers from 1-8pm. The level of work is higher, the teachers have no sympathy if you haven't reached the deadline, or simply if you're late due to a Metro problem - everyone is far more opinionated and the competition is mind blowing! From Brisbane to Paris, there was always going to be a big difference but I wasn't sure how great. I am like a tiny fish again in a gigantic bowl. I found it very difficult the first two months, trying firstly to understand the task and then achieving it to a satisfactory level. Entering into third year has been hard as all the students know the system, familiar with the machines, printers and project expectations, and they were ready to work hard. I had to translate, learn all these skills, school's ways, and make friends at the same time. It was a real challenge and many times I have felt incapable. I am still not completely comfortable but I am learning a lot, have submitted some assignmetns, had some feedback and made some friends who have given me a lot of insight to it all.
During the first month of beginning my course, Lou and I found an apartment to move into in that was just perfect. Close to Belleville (Asian quarter) and between Montemarte and my college, the apartment is above many bars, restaurants and has a balcony with a view of all of Paris and a lot of light. Level five is not easy - especially when moving and elevators weren't designed at the time our block was built! Nevertheless, the space is everything I could wish for and more! We are very lucky and are now just personalising it to make it ours!


The view of Paris from our balcony. The tiny vertical triangle towards the back is Le Tour Eiffel!

For my first assignment we focused on the little black dress.
We had to be inspired by the original and then create a modern version


The little black chemise. Lou wears a Maria LBD

An example of an image we are given in class and in one day
are expected to make the perfect toile ready to sew it
up in wool; the day after we are given it we have it for patternmaking.
Without books - just an image !


After more than one year of not having seen my parents, they arrived yesterday in Paris. Besides my arriving late to meet them, because of a Metro hiccup, and perhaps a tad of my super time management skills, we finally found each other in Gare de Nord and it was better than anything I could have imagined! Just seeing their faces and sharing long lasting hugs and multiple kisses was so overwhelming. I felt so reassured, so content, so happy and so understood all at the same time. I think I had cried too much over the last difficult months that I had no more tears left. I just couldn’t stop smiling. We were like big kids with too many stories and not knowing where to begin!

With two weeks of holidays approaching, and my family, friends, uncle and cousin arriving this week, I am more then certain I am going to have a very, very special Christmas.
After a long, colourful year, I couldn't ask for anything more than my special people here with me celebrating Christmas. I just wish my big, hairy brother could join too... but with Skype anything is possible.

My favourite flame-tree photo from home that I took just before leaving last November.
This is a real Christmas tree


To all my family and friends at home,
Joyeux Noel!
Sending all my love from Paris always,

Maria
x

No comments:

Post a Comment