Tuesday, December 22, 2009

onion memories

View from the top of Blarney Castle

Despite being ill for most of our stay in Cork – I managed to (all on the same day) break my umbrella after impatiently trying to put it up, forget my camera battery at our hostel and spread my germs to a stone famously known as ‘Blarney’.

The stone of course belongs to Blarney Castle, situated 7km from Cork City. The Castle is mainly famous for its stone, which has the power of conferring eloquence on all who kiss it. To kiss it, one has to lean backwards (grasping an iron railing) from the parapet walk. To ensure our safety there were two men sitting by the edge to assist in lowering us to kiss the Stone. They had to hold our bodies as we leant backwards over the edge of the Castle - sounds slightly romantic; sadly it so wasn’t. Unfortunately (even with a congested nasal passage) I could smell the onion lunch leftovers on the bloke's breath - the one who was responsible for lowering me to the stone. In fact, I can still smell his reeking onion breath when I reminisce on my experience of kissing Blarney Stone.
Aside from that unpleasant encounter, it was such a lovely Castle.



Inside Blarney Castle

No comments:

Post a Comment