Sunday, November 22, 2009

and so it goes..

On a quest to find the perfect journal and after visiting four book stores and two florists (how would this help), I decided to create an online journal to record my adventures yet to come.
Snapdragons were the flowers my grandma Betty used to grow in her garden. I vividly remember standing in her snapdragon bed reaching well above my head to squeeze a dragon-like flower head and watch its mouth snap! Snapdragons remind me of all the happy times I had in my childhood: the smell of a freshly baked chocolate cake that drifted up though my room, being awakened early on a Sunday morning to my mum playing Erik Satie’s Gymnopedie on the grand piano, and the many colours you could find in my grandma Betty’s garden. Even now, as a 22-year-old, I still find myself drawn to my childhood influences.

Great big hugs: Grandma Betty, brother James and me (Maria).
Betty's lawn, 1990


I begin this blog one night before I set off on my journeys - three months travelling through Europe to be followed by three years living in Paris. I am lucky to have the opportunity to continue studying fashion design in Paris. Having travelled to Paris in 2006 with my family for one month, I discovered a city devoted to the creation of beauty, where the population worships attention to detail and treasures the finer things in life - a city with an aura of simplicity and sophistication from window displays and food presentation to the layout and architecture of the buildings. My desire to return and to pursue my love of design within such a captivating and creative environment will offer me endless inspiration and opportunities for which I am so grateful.

This is one of my favourite photos taken on our 2006 trip to Paris.
My brother suggested I dance under the Eiffel Tower - and as the lights
twinkled - I did, and I didn't stop.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Maria. Nice to have briefly met you. I like the sounds of your attraction to simplicity. Seems to be the theme of the day today. And always, actually. I will read more of your thoughts. If you are interested, I had a blog during my 12 months in SE Asia recently. the website is (excuse the name)

    www.getjealous.com/joybones

    Happy travels and enjoy Paris!

    Matteo

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah, and some of my music (not the new stuff) is on

    myspace.com/matteotunes

    Happy simple moments..........

    ReplyDelete